How to apply
Transfer applicants can apply to Appalachian via the transfer application. This application is for students who have never attended Appalachian State University previously. After submitting an application, applicants will receive an email with login information for the MyMountaineer portal during the next business day.
Join us for an Explore Appalachian Transfer Webinar to get you on the right track for admission. Transferring to Appalachian is a chance to discover what community means. Community is at the forefront of the Appalachian experience, and we love to get you involved both socially and academically!
No matter where you are in the transfer process, we are here to help! Sign-up for a one-on-one with our transfer team!
You are a traditional transfer applicant if you have have attempted any college coursework the term following graduation or joined the military after graduating high school. Learn more about applying to Appalachian as a transfer student.
You are a military student if you are active duty, national guard, reservist, veteran or retired. All proceed through the same admission process as transfer students, but may need to submit additional documents. Learn more about applying as a military student or dependent at Appalachian.
Required for a complete application
- A complete online CFNC application
- A non-refundable application fee of $65 (USD) – Appalachian accepts Official Application Fee Waivers from the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC).
- Official college transcripts*
- Official final high school/secondary school transcript (Required if you have fewer than 24 hours of transferable coursework by the time you want to attend –in progress courses count.)
- Official test scores (Required if you have fewer than 24 hours of transferable coursework by the time you want to attend–in progress courses count.) Note: Military students with 3 years of active duty and anyone at least 23 years of age are not required to submit ACT/SAT scores.
- Additional information if requested, upon submission of your application, by the Office of Admissions (This may include submitting a Criminal Background Check and Conduct Review as required by the UNC System.)
- All applicants claiming to be a resident of North Carolina must request a residency determination through the Residency Determination Service (RDS)
Appalachian neither requires nor recommends letters of recommendation for admission.
*Transcripts are required from each institution at which you have attempted credit. You should continue to send updated transcripts as grades are posted at the end of semesters to keep us up-to-date on transferable coursework.
Planning to transfer
- Applicants that have at least 24 hours of transferable credit must have a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.25 in all attempted coursework.
- Applicants with fewer than 24 hours of transferable credit will be reviewed based on competitive high school GPA and SAT or ACT scores, and all attempted college coursework. NC High School Minimum Course Requirements apply if under the age of 21.
Meeting these minimum requirements for admission does not guarantee admission as admission is only granted until the class is full each year. Additionally, applicants must have earned a C or better in coursework in addition to other requirements for it to be considered transferable.
Transfer Track is an on-campus opportunity to participate in workshops with representatives from Admissions and Transfer Services. Learn more and register. If you can’t make it to campus, check out the virtual tour below. Explore Appalachian Transfer Webinars are online opportunities to learn more about Appalachian and have your questions answered.
All transfer guides are examples of how a degree can be completed in four years. Individual guides will be developed for each student in consultation with the academic advisor. Prior credit, course availability, and student needs must be considered in developing the individual guide.
You can look up courses in the course equivalencies database. This information is not comprehensive, however. As new institutions and courses are evaluated, the information will be added to this system. Your official articulation of transfer credit will be evaluated upon admission to Appalachian. If you are a community college student, be sure to review the Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) guide, which includes community college courses guaranteed to transfer. Additionally, you can review our credit by exam policies, if applicable.
On-campus housing is required for students that graduated from high school less than one year prior to enrolling. Housing for transfer students who are not required to live on campus is limited. On-campus housing assignments are made on a first-come, first-serve and space-available basis. Transfer students who wish to live on campus are encouraged to apply as early as possible, and are also encouraged to visit offcampushousing.appstate.edu to browse local rental properties.
Resources and involvement
The Office of Transfer Services is a great resource for any student thinking about transferring to Appalachian State University. Contact them with any questions or concerns about credit hours, on-campus programs and housing.
Transfer Pre-Orientation Program is a day of activities designed to help newly admitted Appalachian transfer students find the answers to all of their questions and prepare for their upcoming Orientation session. A typical day involves sessions on financial aid, transfer of credit, advising and involvement in campus life. OTS also has a Q&A session with the transfer student mentors and a tour of the campus.
Transfer RLCs are residential living communities where you are living side-by-side with other transfer students. These are a great way to get involved in a community of other students who transferred.
Articulation Agreements are formal agreements between two or more colleges and universities documenting the transfer policies for a specific academic program or degree in general. Check out the agreements with Appalachian to see if this path is right for you!