How to apply
First-year applicants interested in Fall 2021 can now apply via the Common Application. Common App will begin delivering submitted applications to Appalachian on August 15th, at which time you will receive your MyMountaineer login information.
Submit your application by November 1, submit all materials by November 15, and receive a decision by January 25.
Submit your application by February 1, submit all materials by February 15, and receive a decision by March 15.
For first-year students applying for a 2021 term, official test scores (ACT/SAT) will be not required for admission. Students will have the option to select on the application whether or not they will be submitting test scores for review. Please contact your admissions counselor with any questions!
Watauga Residential College is a unique general education program where students and faculty live and learn together, develop as leaders, and work together to answer challenging local, national, and global questions. Want to see Watauga Residential College from a student's perspective? Check out this video made by one of our Wataugans, Dina Clemente and Carson Hopkins.
Break down the barriers between living and learning and apply today in your MyMountaineer Portal!
Required for a complete application
- A complete online application
- A non-refundable application fee of $65 (USD) – Appalachian accepts Official Application Fee Waivers from the College Board, ACT and National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC)
- Official high school/secondary school transcript
- Official or self-reported test scores (if younger than 23 years old) - official scores required at enrollment. Please note that you may download and email your official score report . Need help finding your downloadable score report? Check out these resources on how to find and send your official SAT or ACT scores.
- Please note that 2021 applicants now have an option to waive their test scores.
- College transcripts (of any completed coursework) - Please note that your college transcript, official or unofficial, is required in order for our team to accurately review and give credit to where credit is due! College courses listed on your high school transcript will not be accepted.
- Additional information if requested, upon submission of your application, by the Office of Admissions (This may include submitting a Criminal Background Check and Conduct Review as required by the UNC System.)
- All applicants claiming to be a resident of North Carolina must request a residency determination through the Residency Determination Service (RDS)
Appalachian neither requires nor recommends letters of recommendation for admission.
List of activities
Your list of activities should include work and volunteer experience, as well as any extracurricular involvement. This can include things like athletics, clubs, arts and other extracurricular activities. You will have the ability to submit your list of activities in the Common App or your MyMountaineer portal.
Your interest statement gives us the ability to get to know you beyond your grades and test scores. Responses are an important factor in distinguishing admissible candidates within the applicant pool. You will have the ability to submit your interest statement in the Common App or your MyMountaineer portal.
Hard copies and documents sent via email are not accepted.
All first-year students that have completed all required and recommended steps for admission to Appalachian State University by November 15 at 11:59 p.m. eastern time will be considered for the Appalachian Excellence Scholarship.
The application for signature scholarship programs and selective academic programs will open by August 15.
The deadline for fall applicants is November 15. Learn more about scholarships.
How to apply for scholarships
You'll need to create an account if you haven't submitted your application for admission and received your credentials for your MyMountaineer portal. If creating an account, please use the same email address that you plan to use for your admission application. Once logged in, you will select "Start New Application" and choose "First-Year Selective Programs (2021)."
Required by November 15 for scholarship application:
- Complete application for admission
- Two letters of recommendation
- List of activities
- Essays (The number of essays depends on which program you choose to apply for.)
Keep an eye on your email and your MyMountaineer portal for more information.
Reading and math without the writing. The writing portion is neither required nor recommended at Appalachian. The Appalachian State University SAT code is: 5010.
Composite. The writing portion is neither required nor recommended at Appalachian. The Appalachian State University ACT code is: 3062.
Please note that you may download and email your official score report . Need help finding your downloadable score report? Check out these resources on how to find and send your official SAT or ACT scores.
A transcript for any and all completed college coursework is required. Transcripts for coursework in progress are not required although a listing of courses in progress may be required – please review your checklist to see if you have this specific requirement. If you have earned college credit before your senior year, you'll have to provide these transcripts to complete your application for admission. While official college transcripts will satisfy this requirement, you may send a PDF or image of the entire transcript to email@example.com. Please note that grade reports, screenshots or partial images cannot be accepted.
All students applying to Appalachian that have earned or will earn an Associates of Science or Arts degree (AA/AS) upon graduating from a North Carolina cooperative innovative high school (also known as early or middle college) have the choice to be considered exempt from UNC Minimum Admission Requirements (MARs) like a transfer student is evaluated for admission. During your application, you will be asked if you plan on having an AA/AS upon your high school graduation.