How to apply
First-year applicants can apply to Appalachian via the Common Application. After submitting an application, applicants will receive an email with login information for the MyMountaineer portal within 24 hours.
Required for a complete application
- A complete online application
- A non-refundable application fee of $65 (USD) – Appalachian accepts Official Application Fee Waivers from the College Board, ACT and National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC).
- Official high school/secondary school transcript
- Official test scores (if younger than 23 years old)
- College transcripts (of any completed coursework)
- Additional information if requested, upon submission of your application, by the Office of Admissions (This may include submitting a Criminal Background Check and Conduct Review as required by the UNC System.)
- All applicants claiming to be a resident of North Carolina must request a residency determination through the Residency Determination Service (RDS)
Appalachian neither requires nor recommends letters of recommendation for admission.
List of activities
Your list of activities should include work and volunteer experience, as well as any extracurricular involvement. This can include things like athletics, clubs, arts and other extracurricular activities. You will have the ability to submit your list of activities in the Common App or your MyMountaineer portal.
Your interest statement gives us the ability to get to know you beyond your grades and test scores. Responses are an important factor in distinguishing admissible candidates within the applicant pool. You will have the ability to submit your interest statement in the Common App or your MyMountaineer portal.
Hard copies and documents sent via email are not accepted.
The deadline for fall applicants is November 15. Learn more about scholarships.
How to apply for scholarships
Apply for scholarships! You'll need to create an account if you haven't submitted your application for admission and received your credentials for your MyMountaineer portal. If creating an account, please use the same email address that you plan to use for your admission application. Once logged in, you will select "Start New Application" and choose "First-Year Academic & Merit Scholarship Opportunities (2019)."
Required by November 15 for scholarship application:
- Complete application for admission
- Two letters of recommendation
- List of activities (see guidance)
- Essays (The number of essays depends on which program you choose to apply for.)
Keep an eye on your email and your MyMountaineer portal for more information.
Reading and math without the writing. The writing portion is neither required nor recommended at Appalachian. The Appalachian State University SAT code is: 5010.
Composite. The writing portion is neither required nor recommended at Appalachian. The Appalachian State University ACT code is: 3062.
A transcript for any and all completed college coursework is required. Transcripts for coursework in progress are not required although a listing of courses in progress may be required – please review your checklist to see if you have this specific requirement. If you have earned college credit before your senior year, you'll have to provide these transcripts to complete your application for admission. While official college transcripts will satisfy this requirement, you may send a PDF or image of the entire transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that grade reports, screenshots or partial images cannot be accepted.
All students applying to Appalachian that have earned or will earn an Associates of Science or Arts degree (AA/AS) upon graduating from a North Carolina cooperative innovative high school (also known as early or middle college) have the choice to be considered exempt from UNC Minimum Admission Requirements (MARs) like a transfer student is evaluated for admission. During your application, you will be asked if you plan on having an AA/AS upon your high school graduation.