Transcript Requirements

First-yearOfficial high school transcripts are required to complete an admissions application. Final high school transcripts will also be required for enrollment at App State. 

TransferOfficial college transcripts from each institution you have attended are required to complete your application. Students with less than 24 transferable credits completed or in progress at the time they apply will be required to submit an official high school transcript as well. 

Military: Official college transcripts from each institution you have attended are required to complete your application.Official high school transcripts are required for students planning to use Veterans Affairs education benefits. They will not be used for the admissions review if you have 24 or more transferable college credit coursework.

Dual Enrolled/Early College: If you are attending an Early College or are dual enrolled, you will be required to submit an unofficial or official college transcript from the various colleges or universities. College transcripts are required even if the courses are included on your high school transcript. Unofficial transcripts (including screenshots) are accepted for admission. Offical transcripts are required for enrollment.  

How to submit your transcripts

Official transcripts should be sent from the high school or college directly to or mailed to ASU Box 32004 Boone, NC 28608

High school counselors can mail high school transcripts or send them electronically via a recognized transcript delivery service such as Common App, CFNC, Naviance, National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment or

College transcripts must be ordered by the student directly from each prior institution (Registrar or Records office) and be sent directly to App State. Due to privacy laws, App State is unable to order student transcripts from other institutions. 



Do I have to send ALL of my transcripts? 
Yes, we need to receive official transcripts from every institution you have attended. This includes:

  • College transcripts for dual enrollment classes
  • College transcripts for any courses that are also shown on the high school transcript
  • All completed coursework regardless if it will transfer to App State

What is an official transcript?

Official Transcripts are transcripts still in unopened envelopes that were sealed by the issuing institution or sent electronically via a recognized transcript delivery service such as Common App, CFNC, Naviance, National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment or

What if I started but didn’t complete a semester?

If you started classes but withdrew we also need those transcripts to verify you did not receive a grade in the class. If you withdrew before the drop/add period and are told you do not have a transcript but we have record that you attended that university from your application, you will need an official email from the institution (usually from the Registrar or Records office) sent to stating that you withdrew and have no official grades.

What if I owe money and they won’t release my transcript?

The UNC System requires official transcripts from all your prior institutions. You will need to work with that institution to pay off any outstanding fees. 

Should I wait to send my college transcript after I have completed my courses?
We review the courses that have been taken so far along with the courses in progress in order to provide an admissions decision. We encourage students to meet our suggested dates to apply by submitting official transcripts for courses completed to date.

Why am I being asked for an updated transcript?

If you applied for a prior term or we noticed on a transcript a school you didn’t mention, we will add a checklist item asking for an updated transcript. We require transcripts for all completed coursework even if the courses do not transfer. That will also help us in making an admissions decision.

When do I send an updated transcript with new grades? 

Please send an official transcript anytime new coursework has been completed.

What transcripts are required for military students?
We require official high school, college and Joint Service or Community College of the Air Force transcripts, depending on the branch of service. Note that the high school transcript is required for the record, but is normally not used for admission purposes.

How do you evaluate my military experience?

Transfer Admissions & Engagement accepts and will review Joint Services Transcripts.  Upon credit review by Transfer Admissions & Engagement and the department chair, any applicable credit will be added to the student’s record.  For more information regarding military credit visit the American Council on Education

Questions? We're here to help!

Navigating the college application process can be a lot. Your assigned counselor is available to help you every step of the way. Connect with your counselor today