- Why App?
- Contact Us
- Completed or in progress of completing 30 or more semester hours of transferable coursework at another accredited college/university if minimum course requirements for North Carolina were met in high school.
- Must have at least a cumulative 2.0 GPA on all college work (as computed by Appalachian).
Freshmen are those who have less than 15 hours of college credit, or if you graduated from high school less than a year prior to your intended entry term.
Transfer Track Sessions for Spring 2014
Back by popular demand, spring Transfer Track sessions are available for February, March and April, and these visit opportunities will incorporate representatives from Admissions, the Office of Transfer Articulation, and Academic Advising. In addition, all visits will include a transfer student panel to allow our prospective transfer students to “get a taste of life as a transfer student” at Appalachian.
Sign up for one of our Transfer Track Sessions:
- A “C” or better is required for all transfer coursework. Please note that any courses with a grade of “C-“ or below will not transfer.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.0 (as calculated by Appalachian) is required to be considered for admission. Due to increased interest, transfer applicants may be subject to a more competitive academic review.
- GED diplomas do not meet minimum course requirements (MCR's). Adult High School Diplomas may meet minimum course requirements (MCR's) and transcripts for these diplomas are reviewed on a case by case basis.
Students who meet Minimum Course Requirements
Transfer students who meet Minimum Course Requirments (MCRs) will need 30 semester hours of transferable college credits. Technical, developmental and orientation courses are usually not transferable. You must be in progress of meeting 30 hours, with 12 hours of coursework completed and a transcript for those courses on file.
Students who do not meet Minimum Course Requirements and are under age 24
Transfer students who do not meet MCRs and are under the age of 24 must complete either Option A or B below at an accredited institution. The completion and award of the applicable degree or 44-hour core diploma must be indicated on the official community college transcript in order to be recognized by Appalachian.
- Option A - Complete an Associate in Arts*, Associate in Science*, Associate in Fine Arts, or Baccalaureate degree
- Option B - Complete the Transfer Core Diploma (44-hour core) at a NC Community College* or complete 6 semester hours in each of the following college-level areas: English, math, science, foreign language and social sciences.
*Please communicate closely with your advisor at your community college if you intend to complete the Transfer (44 hour) Core Diploma or the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science. Each community college has their own unique requirements for graduation.
Students who are 24 years of age or older
Students who are at least 24 years old are exempt from meeting minimum course requirements and are reviewed on a case by case basis. Please contact your Admissions Counselor for more information.
How to Apply
A complete application includes the following items:
- A completed online application.
- A non-refundable application fee of $55.
- Official copy of high school transcripts that includes grades 9 - 12.
- Official college transcripts submitted directly to Appalachian from each previously attended institution.
You may be asked to submit a "Criminal Background Check" as required by the UNC system. This can take additional time to process. Your application may go to Conduct Review if applicable.
Official high school and college transcripts should be mailed to:
The Office of Admissions
Appalachian State University
A.S.U. Box 32004
Boone, NC 28608-2004
When to Apply
Transfer students are encouraged to apply early; at least six months before the fall semester begins and as soon as possible after the application opens for spring semester in September. The time to apply is dependent upon the number of credit hours that are completed and available for review, along with the term entry. Applications are typically processed within four to six weeks of the application becoming complete. Applicants will be notified in writing of their admissions decision. Appalachian continues to accept applications on a rolling basis until the class is filled.
|Fall Admission||Earliest Time to Apply|
|Students with at least 12 hours of completed credit||Apply as early as August for the following fall|
|Students who will have transferable credit by the end of fall||Apply as early as December for the following fall|
|Spring Admission||Earliest Time to Apply|
|Students with at least 12 hours of completed credit||Apply in August for the following spring|
Track Your Application Status
Once you have applied, login to MyAPP to track your application status and see if you are missing any items.