- Why App?
- Contact Us
High School Counselors
Counselor Communications Mailing List
Sign up for our Counselor Communications and we’ll keep you up-to-date with deadline reminders, admissions updates, and event invitations.
Admission Application Deadlines
|Admission Application Completion Date*||Admission Decision Mailing Date||Advanced Nonrefundable Payment Postmarked on or before|
|First Notification Period||Nov. 15, 2015||Jan. 25, 2016||May 1, 2016|
|Second Notification Period||Feb. 1, 2016||March 1, 2016||May 1, 2016|
|Third Notification Period||March 15, 2016||April 4, 2016||May 1, 2016|
The Completed Application
A complete application package includes:
- Completed online application
- Non-refundable application fee of $55
- Official copy of high school transcript that includes grades 9-12
- SAT or ACT results submitted directly to Appalachian from the appropriate testing service
- SAT Code = 5010, ACT Code = 3062, General Code = 002906 (Financial Aid)
- Official college transcripts submitted directly to Appalachian from each previously attended institution, including all college dual-enrollment coursework (this is especially important for students from Early College and Middle College schools)
[ more about the Freshmen application process ]
It is never too early to plan for college. To help students get organized, we offer the College Timeline, a checklist of necessary steps to take beginning in the sophomore year.
Interviews and Essays
Appalachian does not conduct interviews with applicants as part of the application process. Interviews may be required in special circumstances and Appalachian will notify the applicant.
Please note that Appalachian does not require letters of recommendations, resume, essays or personal statements as part of our application for admission. However, Appalachian encourages applicants to submit a personal statement and/or resume through their MyApp Portal. There is no predetermined topic, so this is a chance for the student to tell us more about themselves (beyond grades and test scores). They will have access to enter supplemental information in their MyApp Portal once they have submitted their application for admission.
Personal Admissions Account
We encourage each prospective student to create an AppConnect Account. Once you create your personal site, you can:
- receive admissions materials
- receive important messages about your application status
- learn more about Appalachian!
Encourage a Campus Visit
There is no better way to learn about Appalachian than to visit us. Although students are welcome to visit our campus anytime, we encourage them to consider visiting during Open House or schedule a campus tour to ensure that they have a successful and enjoyable visit to Appalachian.
2015 Freshman Class Profile
Our freshman class profile entering fall 2015 consisted of the following:
- Average weighted GPA of 4.12
- Average SAT of 1180 on combination of math and verbal
- Average ACT of 26 composite
- 88% in-state, 12% out-of-state students
Students will be eligible to apply for merit scholarships based on their Admissions application. To be considered for merit scholarship opportunities, the Admissions application must be completed by Nov. 15 and subsequent scholarship materials must be received by Dec. 1. For specific merit scholarship program information, please visit scholarships.appstate.edu.
At Appalachian, we want to guide our students in the right direction to ensure success, in and out of the classroom. MAP-Works is one tool that has helped us better understand our students' needs.
MAP-Works -- which stands for Making Achievement Possible -- is an online resource that helps students find out about the resources that are available to them, helping them stay on track to becoming a college graduate. At the same time, MAP-Works provides a way for all the faculty and staff who work with a student to connect and collaborate, making sure that the student receives all the support he or she needs to be successful at Appalachian.