High School Counselors
2013 Admission Application Deadlines
|Admission Application Completion Date*||Admission Decision Mailing Date||Advanced Nonrefundable Payment Postmarked on or before|
|First Notification Period||November 15, 2012||January 25, 2013||May 1, 2013|
|Second Notification Period||February 1, 2013||March 1, 2013||May 1, 2013|
|Third Notification Period||March 15, 2013||April 4, 2013||May 1, 2013|
The Completed Application
A complete application package includes:
- Completed online application.
- Non-refundable application fee of $55.
- Official copy of high school transcript that includes grades 9-12.
- SAT or ACT results submitted directly to Appalachian from the appropriate testing service.
- SAT Code = 5010 ACT Code = 3062 General Code = 002906 (Financial Aid)
- Official college transcripts submitted directly to Appalachian from each previously attended institution. This includes all college dual-enrollment coursework.
[ more about the Freshmen application process ]
It is never too early to plan for college and to help students get organized, we offer the College Timeline, a checklist with the necessary steps to take beginning in the sophomore year.
Interviews & Essays
Appalachian does not conduct interviews with applicants as part of the application process. Interviews may be required in special circumstances and Appalachian will notify the applicant.
Essays are not required but are strongly suggested. Students must submit an essay through their MyApp Portal. There is no predetermined topic therefore students write about the topic of their choice.
Personal Admissions Account
We encourage each prospective student to create an AppConnect Account. Once students create their personal site, they can:
- receive admissions materials
- receive important messages about your application status
- learn more about Appalachian and more!
Encourage a Campus Visit
There is no better way to learn about Appalachian than to visit us. Although students are welcome to visit our campus anytime, we encourage them to consider visiting during Open House or schedule a campus tour to ensure that they have a successful and enjoyable visit to Appalachian.
2012 Freshman Class Profile
Our freshman class for the Fall of 2012 consists of the following:
- Average weighted GPA of 3.99.
- Average SAT of 1153 on combination of math & verbal.
- Average ACT of 26 composite.
- 88% in-state, 12% out-of-state.
Students will be eligible to apply for merit scholarships for 2013-2014 based on their Admissions application. To be considered for merit scholarship opportunities, the Admissions application must be completed by the November 15 and subsequent scholarship materials must be received by December 1. For specific merit scholarship program information, please visit scholarships.appstate.edu.
At Appalachian, we want to guide our students in the right direction to ensure success, in and out of the classroom. MAP-Works is one tool that has helped us better understand our students' needs.
MAP-Works - Making Achievement Possible - is an online resource that helps students find out about the resources that are available to them, helping them stay on track to becoming a college graduate. At the same time, MAP-Works provides a way for all the faculty and staff who work with a student to connect and collaborate, making sure that the student receives all the support he or she needs to be successful at Appalachian.