Apply today. We are looking to enroll a group of new students who will be academically motivated in the classroom and who will bring a diverse pool of talents and interests to Appalachian.
Admission decisions are based on meeting the minimum course requirements (MCR) for North Carolina and a combination of high school achievement and SAT or ACT score. (For those taking the ACT, Appalachian requires the written portion.) Admission is competitive, that is, we receive more applications than we have room for in our freshmen class.
2012 Freshman Class Profile
- Average weighted GPA of 3.99
- Average SAT of 1153 (combination of math & verbal)
- Average ACT of 26 composite
- 88% in state
- 12% out of state
The application submission and notification dates are listed below. These dates do not apply to freshman students applying for a spot in the freshman class starting in January or to transfer students. Applications received after the third notification period are reviewed and offers of admission are made on a space-available basis. Submission of all applications are non-binding and applicants that are accepted to Appalachian have until May 1 to confirm their enrollment with an Advanced Nonrefundable Payment.
|Admission Application Completion Date*||Admission Decision Mailing Date||Advanced Nonrefundable Payment Postmarked on or before|
|First Notification Period||November 15, 2012||January 25, 2013||May 1, 2013|
|Second Notification Period||February 1, 2013||March 1, 2013||May 1, 2013|
|Third Notification Period||March 15, 2013||April 4, 2013||May 1, 2013|
* Complete applications
Applications submitted after March 15, 2013 will be considered on a space-available basis. It is important to submit your application and all requested supplemental materials as soon as possible in order to avoid any delays in notification. Decisions cannot be made on incomplete applications. Applicants will be notified of all admissions decisions via U.S. Mail. The status of your application cannot be released over the phone, by email, or in person.
A complete application includes the following items:
- A completed online application.
- A non-refundable application fee of $55.
- Official copy of high school transcripts that includes grades 9 - 12.
- Official test scores (either SAT or ACT, including written portion)
- Official college transcripts submitted directly to Appalachian from each previously attended institution.
- Additional information requested, upon submission of your application, by the Office of Admissions.
- Please Note: You may be asked to submit a "Criminal Background Check" as required by the UNC system. This can take an additional 2-5 business days to complete your application. If your application becomes complete two weeks prior to the start of the term you intend to enroll, you will be required to submit a "Criminal Background Check" per the UNC system. The estimated cost is $22.35 and must be paid by the applicant. Read more about this policy.
Official high school and college transcripts should be mailed to:
The Office of Admissions
Appalachian State University
A.S.U. Box 32004
Boone, North Carolina, 28608-2004